Spring is in the air and some of the flowers have started to open in our garden so it’s time to think about baking for Easter and Spring. These simple to make Easter Treats for kids are ideal to bake with them at the weekend and taste delicious. So dig out your favourite thumbprint cookie recipe and create these East Nest Cookies with Cadbury Mini Eggs with the kids.
Easter like Christmas is one of my favourite times to get the kids in the kitchen helping to create some delicious treats, snacks and cakes with me to share with family and friends as well as enjoy ourselves.
Simple is always best and using a thumbprint cookie recipe to create these it means that there is less chance of them spreading and failing. The thumbprint cookie recipe is the same one we make our Strawberry ones in the summer.
It’s so easy that you can even bake with toddlers.
We’ve made them with a cream cheese frosting instead of our normal buttercream – but you could easily make them with that as well. Check out our basic buttercream icing recipe in our Butterfly Cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Mix the flour and the salt together.
- Rub in the butter till you have a bread crumb consistency.
- Add the sugar and stir together.
- Beat the egg in a jug until combined and mix into the flour and sugar till you have a stiff dough.
- Split the mix into 12 walnut sized balls.
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet or baking tray and press your thumb into the centre of each.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before decorating the nests.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer.
- Then add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Slowly add in the icing sugar a spoon at a time until it is fully combined.
- Separate icing into 3 different containers.
- Add your chosen food colourings with a toothpick so colours do not get too dark.
- Mix well.
- Once your cookies are cooled and the icing is coloured, fill cookies with cream cheese icing & add Cadbury Chocolate Eggs to finnish.
Check out these other simple recipes for Easter Cookies that you can cook with kids this year.
Delicious and easy recipe for traditional Easter Cookies a simple recipe that you can cook with kids.
More Easter Treats to Cook with Kids
One of our favourite Easter Recipe to Make with Kids is this Simple Easter Nests with Rice Krispies. So easy to make and the kids will love to cook them and then eat.