Although I love our rice krispie and shredded wheat chocolate nests for Easter sometimes there is nothing better than a cupcake and these simple cupcakes are perfect for cooking and sharing with kids. They use our simple cupcake recipe which is very forgiving of children combined with a delicious green vanilla buttercream frosting and some of my favourite Easter treat Cadbury Mini Eggs this is perfect for you or if you have a school bake sale coming up.
My Top Tip for making Easter Cupcakes with Kids
We have included affiliate links to products and ingredients that we used to create this recipe. If you purchase via a link we may earn a small commission.
One of the things that I know as a parent is how messy cooking can be and making buttercream and letting the kids decorate cupcakes with it can get extremely messy and also very tasty. When I first started cooking with the kids I used to use a piping bag or even a ziploc bag for my buttercream it was messy and it worked. BUT... then I got given a Cake and Cookie Decorating Syringe and the mess and waste of buttercream is so much less than when we used to use the bags! I've been using it now for a few years and both I and the kids find it really easy to use and decorate our cookies, cakes and treat with it.
Ingredients for making your Easter Cupcakes with Kids
This will make 12 Cupcakes
Cupcake Cases - I like to have a selection at home of different colours for different seasons and this set of Wilton Cupcake Cases is my favourite for spring baking.
120 g unsalted butter or soft margarine
120 g sugar
120 g self-raising flour
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
Butter Cream Frosting
115 g Unsalted Butter
60 ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
500 g Icing Sugar
To Decorate your Easter Cupcakes to Make with Kids
Packet of Cadbury Mini Eggs
Some Chenille Chicks
Don't forget to scroll down to get your complete recipe card to print.
More Easter Recipes to Try
We love cooking up a storm in the kitchen and festivals and holidays are the perfect time to do this with the kids - check out these other Easter Recipes that we have tried and tested for your family this year.
Easy Easter Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting to Cook with Kids
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with your chosen Cupcake Liners.
- Add the sugar and margarine/butter to your stand mixer.
- Mix until creamy in texture.
- Crack the egg in a jug and whisk.
- Pour the egg into the mixer as it continues to work.
- Add in your vanilla extract.
- Finally, add the flour and baking powder and let the mixer combine the two.
- Divide the mix between the 12 cupcake cases.
- Place in the oven for 15 - 18 minutes.
- Remove and leave to cool whilst you make the buttercream frosting.
Green Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- In the stand mixer beat the butter until it is smooth.
- Now add the milk and vanilla extract with 1/2 of the icing sugar.
- Combine until it is smooth.
- Now whilst it is still mixing gradually add the remaining icing sugar
- Once you have a smooth consistency add the food colouring paste - just a tip of a knife will produce a vibrant colour like we have and no taste.
- Using a star nozzle on your piping syringe or bag add an effect to look like grass to the cupcakes.
- Complete with a little chick and some mini eggs for that spring and Easter theme for your cupcakes.
Pin these Easy Easter Cupcake to Cook with Kids Later
Share this Simple Cupcake Recipe for Easter with Others on Facebook