With Valentines Day just around the corner, I have been looking for ways to decorate our mantelpiece at home. I had some beautiful yarn left over from a previous crafting session which I wanted to incorporate. Originally I had planned to wrap the pastel wool around large 3D letters from Hobbycraft to spell the word LOVE. Unfortunately, my local store had two letters missing. Being my impatient self I didn’t want to wait for a home delivery so decided to create my own DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentines Letters.
Materials needed for the DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentine Letters
Yarn – I used Sirdar Cotton Prints Knitting Yarn (DK 353 Coraliscious)<- UK and USA Alternative
How to make DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentine Letters
1) Draw the capital letters L O V E onto cardboard. You can make the letters as big or as small as you wish.
2) Cut out the individual letters and then trace around them to create a second set of identical letters. If you prefer your letters to be thick then add as many layers of cardboard as you want. I used two layers of cardboard. <
3) Hold the two pieces of cardboard together and secure the yarn to the back using sellotape.
4) Start to wrap the letter using vertical lines. Keep wrapping until you come to the end of the letter. Cut the yarn and secure it to the back using sellotape.
5) Start at the top of the letter again but this time wrap the yarn using horizontal lines. This will ensure that every edge of the letter is covered in yarn.
6) Repeat the process for letters O, V and E.
Related Craft ~ String Art Heart
Tips for making DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentine Letters
* Keep the yarn as tight as possible and make sure that each piece of yarn is laid flat against the cardboard.
* This isn’t a two minute craft. It took time and patience to wrap each letter.
* For letter O wrap all of the letter first using vertical lines. At each inner corner of the letter you will need to overlap the yarn several times. Once the letter is covered in yarn add horizontal strips to the top and the bottom. I added another layer of horizontal lines to each side of this letter to even up the thickness of the letter.
* Securing the yarn in place would have been easier using a hot glue gun. However, as we had a power cut on the day I made these, I had to resort to using sellotape.
How to display the DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentine Letters
I simply positioned the four letters on our mantlepiece. However, there are a number of ways the letters could be displayed. How about securing magnetic tape to the back to place the letters on the fridge. Or use Command Strips to attach the letters to a wall. Another idea would be to place the letters into individual frames to hang them on the wall. Whichever way you display the Yarn Wrapped Valentine Letters they will be sure to brighten up your Valentine’s Day.
More Crafts for you to make:
Pin these DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentines Letters to make later
Share this Fun Craft on Facebook with Friends