With Valentines Day just around the corner, I have been looking for ways to decorate our mantel at home. I had some beautiful yarn left over from a previous crafting session which I wanted to incorporate. Originally I had planned to wrap the pastel wool around large 3D letters to spell the word LOVE. Being my impatient self I didn’t want to wait for home delivery so decided to create my own DIY Yarn Wrapped Letters which are perfect for decorating your home for Valentine’s Day.
This simple step by step DIY project you make your own cardboard letters from recycled cardboard using colored yarn. These letters are great for baby showers, valentines or to decorate your tween and teens bedroom. Use the same idea to create their name or another word that has meaning to them.
We chose the cotton prints knitting yarn which is a lovely yarn from Sirdar as it’s really soft and the variegated pinks are ideal for the LOVE letters.
Materials needed for the Yarn Letters for Valentines
We have included affiliate links to the products that we recommended. If you purchase via these links we may earn a small commission.
Make Summer 2019 AWESOME!
Kids not old enough for summer camp?
Hold your own at home!
Make this summer with your kids awesome!
Yarn – I used Sirdar Cotton Prints Knitting Yarn (DK 353 Coraliscious)<- UK and USA Alternative
Sellotape or Hot Glue Gun
How to make DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentine Letters
- Draw the capital letters L O V E onto cardboard. You can make the letters as big or as small as you wish.
- Cut out the individual letters and then trace around them to create a second set of identical letters. If you prefer your letters to be thick then add as many layers of cardboard as you want. I used two layers of cardboard.
- Hold the two pieces of cardboard together and secure the yarn to the back using sellotape or a hot glue gun.
- Start to simply wrap the letter using vertical lines. Keep wrapping until you come to the end of the letter using the full ball of yarn instead of length of yarn. Cut the yarn and secure it to the back using sellotape.
- Start wrapping at the top of the letter again but this time wrap the yarn using horizontal lines. This will ensure that every edge of the letter is covered in yarn.
- Repeat the process for letters O, V and E. See below for our top tip for the letter 0.
Tips for making Yarn Wrapped Letters
* Keep the yarn as tight as possible and make sure that each piece of yarn is laid flat against the cardboard.
* This isn’t a two minute craft. It took time and patience to wrap each letter.
* For letter O wrap all of the letter first using vertical lines. At each inner corner of the letter, you will need to overlap the yarn several times. Once the letter is covered in yarn add horizontal strips to the top and the bottom. I added another layer of horizontal lines to each side of this letter to even up the thickness of the letter.
How to display the DIY Cardboard Yarn Wrapped Letters
I simply positioned the four letters on our mantlepiece. However, there are a number of ways the letters could be displayed.
How about securing magnetic tape to the back to place the letters on the fridge.
Or use Command Strips to attach the letters to a wall.
Another idea would be to place the letters into individual frames to hang them on the wall.
Whichever way you display the Yarn Wrapped Valentine Letters they will be sure to brighten up your Valentine’s Day.
More Valentines Crafts for you and the kids to make
Looking for simple ideas to do with kids of all ages then check out our selection of Simple Valentine Crafts for Kids to Make.
My daughter loved creating this Tissue Paper Hearts card when she was a preschooler to give to our neighbour and another for her big brother.
As she got a little older she sent these cute Cut Out Heart Valentine’s Card with paper backing. A simple little project for young kids to do.
Another quick Valentines craft for Kids is to make a Heart Bubble Wrap Valentines Card with your little ones. It’s really simple and they can do the printing you just need to cut out the hearts for the younger ones.
Another favourite project for Valentine’s Day for the home is our DIY String Art Heart Canvas that we made as a family. It was simple to make and looks great.
Pin these DIY Yarn Wrapped Valentines Letters to make later
Share this Fun Craft on Facebook with Friends