Cooking with Kids – Valentines Cupcakes Recipe
J and T had a play date on Friday last week and in preparation we baked some very simple Valentines Chocolate Cupcake Recipe for the children to enjoy and make with you. This is such a simple cupcake recipe and can form the basis of many children’s cupcakes for parties and fun.
Valentines Cupcake Recipe Ingredients
We have included affiliate links to products and resources we recommend. If you purchase through these links we may earn a small commission.
100g (4oz) Sugar
100g (4oz) Soft Margarine
100g (4oz) All purpose Flour (Plain Flour)
2 level teaspoons of baking powder
1 Dessert spoons of Chocolate dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
Make them using Heart Muffin Cups from this collection of Silicone Muffin Cases available on Amazon.
Cupcake Recipe – How to with Kids
Preheat the oven to 375F/190C Gass mark 5 – if you have a fan oven either reduce the cooking time or lower the temperature slightly – you know your oven best so adjust as you would normally for a recipe.
J is just starting to want to know more and more about numbers so we have started to measure out together, using our Digital Kitchen Scales we measure in grammes and as I pour and stop we talk about the numbers that appear as we go telling him to watch out for the number that we need, it’s a really simple way to work with identification of numbers greater than 10 especially when you use grammes.
Put the sugar and margarine in a bowl together and let the kids mix – a tip here is to take turns other wise it will never go together,so your child mixes and then you mix and then hand back to them. You want the mix to be smooth and pale in colour.
Add the eggs and mix more this makes it easier for the children to mix in the flour. With the flour add the flour and the dissolved chocolate, baking powder all at the same time and mix. Do the same as before with young children taking turns to mix so that you have a smooth consistency to the mix.
Using the Heart Muffin Cups, help your children to fill the cupcake cases and then put on a baking tray and into the oven. Cook for around 15 minutes (ovens vary so could take 20 mins or 13 mins).
Leave to cool and then eat. We decided not to decorate as these are sweet cupcakes with the chocolate and J doesn’t like things overly sweet so were perfect for him – however you could add frosting and sprinkles if you wished.
Easy Valentine’s Cupcakes
- 100 g 4oz Sugar
- 100 g 4oz Soft Margarine
- 100 g 4oz All Purpose Flour (Plain Flour)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 Dessert spoons of Chocolate dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- Sillicone Heart Muffin Cups Available from Amazon
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/ Gas mark 5 (adjust cooking time or temperature as necessary for fan assisted ovens).
- Place sugar and margarine in a bowl and mix until smooth and pale in colour. Break and beat the eggs and add to loosen the mix.
- Sieve in the flour, then add the dissolved chocolate and baking powder and mix until you have a smooth consistency.
- Place the Heart Muffin Cups on a baking tray and fill with the mixture. Bake for around 15 minutes. A skewer or small knife should come out clean if they are ready.
- Leave to cool and decorate or eat plain.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.