Finding dinner ideas that warm us up when it's so cold outside hasn't always been easy but now that my kids are happy to try new food it's making family meals a little bit easier. This week we've experimented and come up with this creamy pasta sauce with kidney beans and spicy sausages from the local butchers. It only takes 30 minutes to make and we've had it with some of our tear and share garlic bread. Perfect for school nights when we need some comfort food. So I thought I would share it with you our delicious Creamy Pasta with Sausage and Kidney Beans.
30 Minutes Sausage Pasta
On some weekday nights, it seems we are all over the place and unless I've thrown together something in the slow cooker we literally have 30 minutes to cook maximum and eat before we have to go or do something.
This Creamy Sausage Pasta is great in the fact that I can cook it whilst the kids do their homework or reading at the kitchen table and keep an eye on them.
I've made it a few times now and added cheese to it once for us girls as the boys don't like it (crazy right) and although I did like the cheese it's still a delicious creamy pasta without it.
Instead, both T and I have added parmesan cheese to it grated over the top when we get to the table.
Do check towards the end of the recipe as we've got a few more simple pasta dishes that are ideal for school nights that even my fussiest eaters enjoy!
Making Creamy Sausage Pasta with LeftOver Sausage Casserole
If you follow our recipes you will have seen our Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole at the beginning of the month.
Well, this recipe uses the same basic ingredients and to make it even quicker I will freeze half of the slow cooker (it uses 1kg of sausages) and then use it for this recipe.
Just defrost in the fridge overnight and then instead of step 1 in the instructions below warm it up in the frying pan till the sauce starts to sizzle then you can add in the milk and if you want the cheese as well.
Creamy Sausage and Bean Pasta Recipe
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 500 g spicy sausage traditional pork works just as well but less spicy
- 1 green sweet pepper sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 cup milk semi skimmer or whole milk
- 1 can kidney beans in water drained and rinsed
- shredded cheddar cheese Optional
- pasta of your choice cooked to al dente
- In a frying pan place the can of chopped tomatoes, onion, sweet pepper, sausages, herbs and salt and pepper and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and slice into bite-sized pieces. Return the sliced sausage to the pan, along with milk and kidney beans. Stir to combine.
- Cook pasta at the same time as preparing your creamy sausage and bean sauce.
- Allow the ingredients to simmer for a further 10 minutes, them remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese if you wish
- When the cheese is melted and combined with other ingredients, add cooked pasta. Stir to coat the pasta before serving.
More Quick and Easy Pasta DIshes for Families
- Delicious baked Beef Cannelloni the sauce can be made ahead and frozen.
- Our favourite Spaghetti Bolognese is so simple to make and tastes delicious.
- No-fuss quick and easy Ravioli Lasagna is so simple to make even my youngest can prep it for dinner.