Linking books and activities is a great way to explore books in a different way. It brings them to life, introduces them to new concepts and your little ones learn that reading is fun, playful, creative, and more. This simple sensory bin for toddlers and preschoolers is themed around the book Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker and so much fun.
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker is a favourite book of our kids. After living on a construction site for a while as the houses around us were built the machines that whizzed around become favourites.
With lovely illustrations and rhymes it’s great to read and enjoy. If you haven’t got a copy or would just like to enjoy it the video below is an animated story telling of the story that you and your tot can enjoy.
Construction Sensory Bin
I love this activity for setting up a week or longer of simple play that our little ones can enjoy independently or we can join in with as well.
Using a plastic tray and some food that we had that was out date we set it up with some craft supplies and toys to create a mini building site and then invited our children to play with it.
We used a combination of brown rice and dried beans to give a different sensory experience as they are moved around by the trucks and lifted and poured.
With younger toddlers and preschoolers supervise with the beans and rice.
If you add in some wooden blocks your child can pretend to use a crane to lift them just like in the book. Sit back and watch them explore the sensory tub and recreate pages from the book.
Why not check out some of our Book Themed Sensory Bins to encourage your toddler and preschooler with reading as well!
More Construction Themed Activities
Using different blocks and shapes make letters, words and names with a construction themed name activity for your toddlers and preschoolers.
Materials for your Building Site Sensory Tub
- Construction Toy Set ideal for little hands and will fit in the sensory tub easily
- Mini Trees for adding some scenery to the construction bin
- Wooden blocks – this plain set are ideal for lots of different activities to do with your toddlers and preschoolers
Building Site Sensory Bin for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Sensory Tub
- Construction Toys
- Play Trees
- Craft Sticks
- Brown Rice
- Dried Pinto Beans
- Read the book, “Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site” by Sherri Duskey Rinker and talk about the different trucks you see, what they do and how they seem. You can also watch the YouTube Video of the animated book as above.
- Pour a thin layer of brown rice at the bottom layer of the sensory tray. Spread the rice out evenly.
- Add the dry pinto beans to the bin.
- Add the construction toys, building blocks, and popsicle sticks. Then, place the trees around the bin.
- Allow the child to engage with the sensory bin and observe his/her actions with the contents of the bin! Let them pour, lift and play, you'll see them recreating scenes from the book as well as further developing the story too.
More Book Inspired Sensory Bins
Love the idea of book themed sensory bins then why not check out these other ones below.