Are you looking for a fun Summer Craft that is great to do with the kids but also useful? This easy tin can lantern is ideal! We first made these punched tin can lanterns when our youngest was in preschool and they are so simple to make, you must read our top tip for making it easier. It’s not just a kid’s craft though, why not have a go yourself and create some beautiful lanterns to light the summer evenings as you fill them with citronella candles to keep the bugs away.
Recycled Can Lanterns
We loved making these and have created a collection to go around the patio in the garden.
I’ve left ours plain as I really like the effect however you can paint them with an outdoor heat resistant paint if you wish.
When it comes to decorations you can get as creative as you want. Our youngest was only just 4 when she made these with me for the first time and together we just placed random marks. However, you can create designs and decorations as you want.
Looking for more Summer Craft Ideas for Kids – try some of our Summer Themed Paper Plates Crafts that you can make together
Easy Tin Can Lanterns for the Garden
- Screw or sharp nail
- tin can
- Remove all labels and glue from the tin can and clean thoroughly.
- Fill with water and freeze overnight.
- Take out and with a hammer and screw (I found a screw had the sharpest point) place holes over your lantern. The ice will stop the tin can buckling as you create the design.
- Once you have finished your design place the tin can in warm water for the ice to melt.
- Dry and place a tea light inside.
More Fun Summer Activities for Kids and You
- Never run out of bubble mix again with our easy homemade bubble mixture recipe
- Make your own Sidewalk Chalk Paint for the kids to get creative outside that just washes away
- Lucky enough to be visiting the beach this summer with rock or tide pools? Then check out our guide to rock pooling with kids
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.