We love spending time in the garden after dark as a family especially as in recent years we've created a space that is comfortable and welcoming. Watching the stars and listening to nature. But, the bugs are a problem so we have bought some citronella candles to burn. But, all the lanterns we saw were expensive so instead, we decided to make our own Tin Can Lanterns for the garden with the kids.
Tin Can Lanterns
We loved making these and have created a collection to go around the patio in the garden.
I've left ours plain as I really like the effect however you can paint them with an outdoor heat resistant paint if you wish.
When it comes to decorations you can get as creative as you want. Our youngest was only just 4 when she made these with me for the first time and together we just placed random marks. However, you can create designs and decorations as you want.
Looking for more Summer Craft Ideas for Kids - try some of our Summer Themed Paper Plates Crafts that you can make together
Easy Tin Can Lanterns for the Garden
- Screw or sharp nail
- tin can
- Remove all labels and glue from the tin can and clean thoroughly.
- Fill with water and freeze overnight.
- Take out and with a hammer and screw (I found a screw had the sharpest point) place holes over your lantern. The ice will stop the tin can buckling as you create the design.
- Once you have finished your design place the tin can in warm water for the ice to melt.
- Dry and place a tea light inside.