As the Christmas music is on in the kitchen and the kids and I are singing along you can guarantee that as soon as We Three Kings comes on we’ll be singing at top volume. So for our next activity in our Storybook Advent this year we have a Nativity Craft for Kids again we have been inspired by our favourite song. The first of 3 Cardboard Tube Nativity Crafts. So find some toilet paper rolls and get creative with the kids as you make your own Nativity Set. Starting off with this Three Wise Men Toilet Paper Roll Craft.
Three King Toilet Paper Roll Craft for Kids
We love recycled crafts here on Rainy Day Mum and I always have a box or two of saves from the recycling bin to use with the kids.
Of all the supplies toilet paper rolls and cardboard tubes are some of our favourites partly because we ALWAYS have some around the house and also they are great for using to make things with.
When the kids were little we made this craft the first time with my mum. We set up the Nativity Set they made and then the kids were able to play with it.
It didn’t last the Christmas but things that we make and then play with were always a favourite so I’ve decided it was high time to share it with you.
Top Tips for Making Cardboard Tube Wise Men
If you wanted to make this for the kids to play with but as a surprise (we did the following year) you can save time and use a hot glue gun and acrylic paint in replace of the PVA/White School Glue and Ready-Mixed/Tempera Paints.
I used black felt for the beards but you could also use tissues paper, fabric, craft foam or black card it really is what you have on hand.
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
Because we love painting people I added a skin tone set of paints to our supplies which means that we can easily do it without having to try and mix up the skin tone
I also have a supply of ready-mixed kids paints. I love acrylic and watercolour paints but when it comes to quick crafts and ones that can be cleaned up easily the ready-mixed paint bottles are the best. They are washable, ready when you need them and as long as the lids are secured last ages and ages.
Join In With Storybook Advent
Looking forward to the next in our Series of Nativity crafts then join us for Storybook Advent this year it’s really not too late to join in.
Toilet Paper Roll Three Wise Men Christmas Nativity Craft for Kids
- Paint Palette
- Pair of Scissors
- Paint brush
Prep to Create with your Kids
- Pour paint into a paint palette if you don't have one I find that the cases that pies are in are great as well.
- Clear an area and protect the work surface it was messy when the kids started to paint.
Making the 3 Kings with your Kids
- Paint each toilet paper roll with a different colour. Try and leave a space for a face to go.
- Top Tip! Place your fingers inside the tube it's easier to paint.
- Set aside to dry.
- Once dry add the colour of the face.
- Set aside to dry again.
Creating the Beard, Crown and Gift for Each of the Three Kings
- Whilst it is drying cut out a beard for each of the men from felt.
- You can also create a crown for each of the Wise men with the gold card.
- Cut a strip of gold card longer than is needed to wrap around your cardboard tube.
- Then either cut in triangles or create a wave. With younger children, you may need to do this part for them.
- The presents are made by folding and scrunching up tissue paper.
Assembling the 3 Wise Men
- Once the face is dry you can assemble your King. Glue the beard to each of the Kings' faces.
- Below the beard where the hands would be glue a present for each King.
- Now wrap your gold card around the head and cut to the size.
- Glue the crown in place.
- Let dry again.
- Then draw a face on each of the wise men.
More Nativity Crafts for the Kids
- Make your own Nativity Ornaments with Yarn and Craft Sticks.
- Create a set of Nativity Story Stones.
- Make a textured Nativity Art Project with your kids.