I'm bored is one of the most dreaded phrases for a Mum to hear - don't get me wrong it's good for the kids to be bored they can get creative but when they've done everything (or so the house looks like!) it's always good to have a backup plan so we're joining together with some fantastic bloggers today to bring you themed ideas for hosting a summer camp at home. Now my kids are bug mad, they hunt them, they talk about them and J from when he was 2 has wanted to be a Jungle Explorer so he can find even more - 3 years on and that is still his dream so we go for it. With that in mind, we're helping you out with some little bug adventures with our Bugs and Butterflies Summer Camp at Home.
Bugs and Butterfly Summer Camp For Toddlers and Preschoolers
This year for the first time we are offering a FREE Camp for Toddlers and Preschoolers as part of our Virtual Book Club for Kids. It's 5-days of activities, snack ideas and some fun book recommendations that you can do at home with your kids. Similar to our Annual Virtual Book Club for Kids Summer this FREE 5-day bugs and butterflies summer camp is set up so that you can do quick simple and easy activities over the summer with your toddlers and preschoolers.
Discover how to sign up and see examples of the activities on our Bugs and Butterflies Summer Camp for Kids over on Virtual Book Club for Kids.
Bugs and Butterfly Crafts to Add to the FREE Week of Camp
There are just so many ways that you can get creative with bugs and butterflies here's just a few to try
- Ladybug Sun Catcher
- Spoon Bugs from Crafts by Amanda
- Butterly Blot Paintings
- Pine cone Bees
- Caterpillar Sponge Craft from Buggy and Buddy
- Itsy Bitsy Hand Puppet from Lalymom
- Easy Ant Puppet from Toddler Approved
- And no Bug and Butterfly Camp would be complete without creating your own Bug Hotel (from Red Ted Art) for the backyard
Bug and Butterfly Snacks
No Camp would be complete without snacks and treats here's some fab Butterfly and Bug themed snacks that you could try making with and for the kids
- Butterfly Cakes
- Any of these Garden Party Foods from Eats Amazing would work - I'm going to be trying the dough ball caterpillars
- Oreo dirt cups these look amazing from Shari Blogs
- Gummy Worm Punch from Bitz n Giggles
- Ladybug Pretzels from Meaningful Mama
Get Active with Bugs
Although the crafts and snacks are good, kids need to be active and get outside or even if it's too hot be active inside incorporate these games and activities into your summer camp at home for bugs and butterflies.
- Create a Giant Spiders Web
- Make a Baby Bumble Bee and then use it to work on motor skills with these fun activities and song from The Inspired Tree House Team
- Honey Pot Game from Sugar Aunts
Bug learning and sensory play
Whilst the summer is all about having fun, there is part of me that wants the kids to do a little learning as well and these Bug and Butterfly themed Learning and Sensory Activities are great with kids.
- Ladybug Maths
- Minibeast Playdough Animals
- Alphabet Bug Spray from Toddler Approved
- Ladybug Number Game from Housing a Forest
- Pollen Transfer from ABC to ACT's
- Catch a Bug Printable Game from Picklebums
- Bug Slime from Craftulate
- Butterfly Colour and Number Walk Game from Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
More Ideas for Summer Camp at Home
Check out this fun possibility for these other FREE Summer Camps that you and your kids could do at home this summer and follow our summer camp schedule to make the most of the different weeks.
Week 1 Sugar Aunts: Outer Space
Week 2 Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails: Ocean
Week 3 Still Playing School: Colors
Week 4 Where Imagination Grows: Backyard Fun
Week 5 Little Bins for Little Hands: Science
Week 6 All Done Monkey: Legos
Week 7 Rainy Day Mum: You Are Here!
Week 8: Simple Play Ideas: Dinosaurs
Week 9 JDaniel 4's Mom: Rainforest
Week 10: Coffee Cups and Crayons: Secret Spy School
Week 11 Fun-a-Day: Frozen