One of favourite things to do in early autumn is to go blackberry picking with the kids and apart from making them into a blackberry and apple crumble I am never quite sure what to make with them. However, our 9-year-old had an idea and decided to make her own recipe that she’s agreed we can share with you as they taste amazing. So here you go a delicious and tasty Blackberry Sponge Cake Muffins with a crumble top.
Every year we take a walk down the country lanes near our house and fill up boxes of blackberries from the hedgerow. It’s something I’ve done since I was child and it’s one of those memories that I wanted to make sure I passed on to my kids.
We’ve been doing it ever since they were toddler (we even wrote a guide on how to pick blackberries with toddlers and preschoolers when they were little) and they still love it now that they are big kids too. Yes the 2 pictures are the same girl just a few years apart.
This recipe calls for 175g of blackberries, as this year has been very dry the blackberries were smaller than normal so we needed a few more but it was about 3/4s of our box (an old lunchbox of the kids).
Blackberry Muffins with Crumble Top
Although neither a cupcake nor muffin we couldn’t figure what else to call them, but they are so easy to make and really forgiving for kids to cook.
There’s no creaming of the sugar and fats together for the sponge and we had all of the ingredients to make the 12 cakes in our kitchen.
My daughter (9 years old) independently made them after checking the recipe out with me and whilst I was the photographer and supervisor she baked her heart out.
With younger kids, you may need to supervise but half the fun of recipes for cooking with kids is that you can make them together.
Blackberry Sponge and Crumble Muffins Recipe
- 12 Hole Muffin Tin
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 12 muffin cases
- Preheat your oven to 190C and place 12 muffin cases in the muffin tin.
- Mix the flour and sugar together in a bowl.
- Cube the unsalted butter whilst chilled and add to the flour and sugar.
- Rub the butter with the flour and sugar using your fingers until you have a crumb consistency. Then set aside till later.
Blackberry Sponge Muffins
- Add the flour and baking powder to a bowl. Then add in the margarine, sugar and eggs. Beat until it is mixed (an electric mixer will make it quicker but not essential).
- Fill each of the muffin cases around half full with the sponge mixture.
- To the top of each sponge mix add a handfull of berries. Then push slightly into the mix.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping onto each muffin.
- Put the muffin tin into the oven and cook for between 25 and 30 minutes until the crumble is golden brown on top.
More Easy Recipes for Kids to Cook
These delicious recipes are easy you can cook them with your kids or if you have older kids they are ideal for them to make themselves.