Hands-on activities are the best way to help your preschoolers and early primary kids to learn. This simple set up of a birds nest with FREE printable maths cards is great for supporting your children of all abilities as they work on counting out objects, counting on and back, and progress to addition and subtraction. Set this maths activity up for spring to return to time and time again and before long you'll be moving onto the next concepts in this set up. So here it is our simple Bird Nest Spring Math Activity for Kids.
Materials Needed for this Birds Nest Math Centre Activity
We have used affiliate links for the resources we have used in this activity. If you purchase via these links we may earn a small commission.
Set of coloured eggs for decoration
Set of Number Cards - you can download our number cards when you join our Weekly Activities News Letter for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Setting up your Birds Nest Maths Activity
- Cut out your number cards.
- Laminate them - you will find them useful for so many activities even once your children start school. (Print out 3 sets and you will then have sets for using with place number activities as well)
More Hands-On Maths Activities for Kids from Toddlers upwards.
Counting with Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Fill your nest up with the number of eggs you are working counting up to with your toddlers and preschoolers.
- Now switch out the eggs with the chicks.
- Ask how many eggs are left in the nest - how many chicks are in the nest.
- Find the matching numbers and place this beside the nest for your toddler and preschooler to start to see the numbers connect with the verbal number.
- Change the number of eggs and work on challenging your child or easier to gain them a little more confidence.
Addition and Subtraction
Using the same method as with counting move forward and use questions first and then formal mathematical terms.
You could start off with - I have 10 eggs and 2 hatches how many eggs are left. Or I have 10 eggs some hatched and there are 8 left in the nest how many chicks are there?
Then get into the nest and count out the eggs and the chicks.
Use the number cards with the mathematical operators to write simple number sentences.
More Spring Maths Activities for Kids
More Bird Themed Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Check out these other ideas for Bird Themed Activities for your Toddlers and Preschoolers
Birds Nest Letter Matching Activity - from Preschool Powol Packets
Bird Prewriting Activity - From Mama Smiles
Are you my Mother Screen Free Coding Activity - Inspiration Laboratories
Are you my mother bird shape craft - J Daniel 4's Mom