The best activities I used in my classroom were ones that I could put together quickly and use with all of the abilities in the class but have different areas of the curriculum that it targets. This simple Birds Nest Math Activity is one such activity – the same equipment can be used for toddlers and preschoolers learning to count up to those working on addition and subtraction. It makes it ideal for adding to a math centre in the classroom, getting out with your children when homeschooling, working with your toddlers and preschoolers on some basic number skills or helping your child with their homework and targets from school. So here we go with a quick and easy hands-on maths activity for spring. Discover our featured book this week to share with your toddlers and preschoolers as part of our Virtual Book Club for Kids.
Materials Needed for this Birds Nest Math Centre Activity
We have used affiliate links for the resources we have used in this activity. If you purchase via these links we may earn a small commission.
Set of coloured eggs for decoration
Set of Number Cards – you can download our number cards when you join our Weekly Activities News Letter for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Join our Weekly Toddler and Preschool Activities Newsletter and get your Number Cards FREE
Setting up your Birds Nest Maths Activity
- Cut out your number cards.
- Laminate them – you will find them useful for so many activities even once your children start school. (Print out 3 sets and you will then have sets for using with place number activities as well)
Counting with Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Fill your nest up with the number of eggs you are working counting up to with your toddlers and preschoolers.
- Now switch out the eggs with the chicks.
- Ask how many eggs are left in the nest – how many chicks are in the nest.
- Find the matching numbers and place this beside the nest for your toddler and preschooler to start to see the numbers connect with the verbal number.
- Change the number of eggs and work on challenging your child or easier to gain them a little more confidence.
Addition and Subtraction
Using the same method as with counting move forward and use questions first and then formal mathematical terms.
You could start off with – I have 10 eggs and 2 hatches how many eggs are left. Or I have 10 eggs some hatched and there are 8 left in the nest how many chicks are there?
Then get into the nest and count out the eggs and the chicks.
Use the number cards with the mathematical operators to write simple number sentences.
The featured book for Birds to Read Aloud
Each week here on Rainy Day Mum during the school term we share a fun activity for toddlers and preschoolers with a featured book based on this theme as part of The Virtual Book Club for Kids which we cohost. This week’s theme is Birds and our featured book is
More Spring Maths Activities for Kids
More Bird Themed Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Check out these other ideas for Bird Themed Activities for your Toddlers and Preschoolers
Birds Nest Letter Matching Activity – from Preschool Powol Packets
Bird Prewriting Activity – From Mama Smiles
Are you my Mother Screen Free Coding Activity – Inspiration Laboratories
Are you my mother bird shape craft – J Daniel 4’s Mom
Pin this Bird Themed Maths Activity to do Later
Share this Spring Themed Activity for Early Years with Others on Facebook