My kids love family meals that involve pasta. Given a choice I think that they would eat pasta every day if they could. For a long time, we stuck with the same dish but as we've worked on getting our fussy eater to eat more and more things we've expanded. This Beef Cannelloni Recipe is one of our favourites.
Beef Cannelloni Recipe
This isn't a particularly quick meal to make unless you prep ahead a batch of the beef and tomato sauce that you can then just add the cheeses too.
In fact, this is what I tend to do as half the family don't like cheese we make a batch in a small ovenproof dish without the ricotta and mozzarella cheese and a second batch for myself and my daughter with cheese in a large baking dish so there is room for the cheeses to melt on top of the sauce.
Ground Beef is one of the ingredients that we buy from the butchers every week and we've been loving trying out these Ground Beef Recipes over on 3 Boys and a Dog.
Making the Beef and Tomato Cannelloni Sauce To Freeze
I don't think cheese freezes very well so what I do, I cook a batch of the beef, dried herbs and spices and tomatoes then freeze it into containers.
Each container has around 400g of ground minced beef steak in it and is frozen.
Then when we plan to have our baked beef cannelloni on the meal plan for the week I can bring out a container to defrost and quickly reheat it to make up the batches for the family.
Which means that the meal can be made on a school night in 30 minutes.
Just make sure that you double or triple the recipe below to make it in batches like described.
Top Tip for How to Stuff Cannelloni Pasta Tubes
I used to stuff the cannelloni pasta tubes with a spoon and boy was it messy!
That was until I set aside one of my piping bags and used that instead. I don't bother with a nozzle just use a silicone piping bag that I can wash and reuse every time.
Less mess, easier to stuff the cannelloni with the beef and cheese or just the sauce mixture and makes it so quick as well.
Just make sure that you block the sauce from going all the way through! Best way to do that stand the cannelloni tubes upright whilst you fill it.
Watch our Quick Video For a Taste of This Delicious Family Pasta Recipe
Pasta Meal Ideas for Families
Pasta is one of our favourite dishes - why not try these easy family meals ideas with pasta for your family too.
Our quick and easy Pasta Bolognese is ideal for mid-week meals it can be made in just a few minutes and tastes amazing.
When time is of the essence then our Ravioli Lasagna is so quick to prep you can get on with everything else whilst it is cooking.
Instead of beef, why not have a chicken pasta meal for the family our Chicken Breast Carbonara is simple to make and tastes amazing.
Why not try these easy Lasagna Roll-ups over on Crystal and Co for a delicious quick and easy dinner for the family.
Easy Beef and 2 Cheese Cannelloni Recipe for Families
- Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Sauce Pan for Pasta
- Ovenproof Dish
- Piping Bag
- 1 pack cannelloni tubes
- 400 g minced beef ground beef in the USA
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes 400g 14.5oz
- 1 packet Passata
- 1 container Ricotta Cheese Around 450g
- 450 g mozzarella cheese torn
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add cannelloni tubes and cook until al dente, around 5 minutes.
- Remove pasta from pan and place in an ovenproof dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
- Brown minced beef in a large frying pan.
- Season with dried parsley, pepper flakes, oregano, and nutmeg.
- Add the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, and chopped tomatoes. Saute for five minutes.
- Add the passata and reduce heat to low. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove half of the sauce and pour the remaining sauce into a large bowl.
- Add all the ricotta cheese and half of the torn mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
- Fill a piping bag with sauce and cheese mixture.
- Pipe mixture into cannelloni tubes (see our top tip above).
- Cover noodles with remaining sauce and top with remaining cheese.
- Place ovenproof dish in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.