Introducing our latest delight from our collection of easy apple recipes for kids! These delectable apple pies are not only straightforward, but they’re also a guaranteed hit for little chefs of all ages and make the perfect snacks for kids to enjoy. With a no-roll pastry crust that’s a breeze even for toddler’s fingers, and a mouth-watering apple pie filling, it’s the perfect kitchen project for those crisp autumn afternoons. So, gather your apples, and let’s embark on this delicious culinary journey with your little ones!
No-Roll Apple Pies for Kids: A Step-by-Step Guide
Apple pies have always held a special spot in my heart, especially when they’re homemade. Their rustic charm combined with the apple filling is simply irresistible and makes the perfect treat for little ones to enjoy. Now, with our simplified method, even toddlers can join in on the fun, thanks to the no-roll pastry recipe tailored for tiny hands.
Check out even more Apple Activities for Learning with Preschoolers here!
Top tip for cooking these pies with toddlers…
If you’re involving toddlers, a helpful trick is to prepare the apple filling the night before and keep it refrigerated. It makes the cooking process smoother and quicker.
AUTUMN TODDLER & PRESCHOOL PLAY CHALLENGE
30 Days of FREE ideas for fun this autumn to do with your little ones
For the more mature junior chefs, I always encourage them to try their hand at preparing the apple filling. It's a fantastic introduction to cooking over heat.
Making Apple Pies with Kids
Let's get cooking with the kids and make this autumn favourite from our family kitchen. Don't forget to share your success with us and leave a comment or tag us on social media when you make these. If you scroll down you'll also find a printable version of this easy apple recipe to cook with kids.
Apple Pie Ingredients
Apple Pie Filling:
- 2 apples (braeburn apples will make the pie filling sweet and granny smith apples a little more tart)
- 118 ml cold water
- 104 g sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 240 g flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 118 ml vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp cold water
Instructions for Making Easy Apple Pies with Kids
1. Begin by peeling and dicing the apples finely.
2. In a saucepan, mix apples, water, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Heat on medium till it starts to simmer. Switch to medium-low and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Once done, set aside to cool.
3. Preheat your oven to 220C (200C for Fan Assisted).
4. For the crust, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Pour in the oil and water, stirring till dough forms. Hand-knead until the dough solidifies.
5. Create golf ball-sized dough portions and press them into the muffin pan. Continue this process until all cups are occupied.
6. Spoon in your cooled apple pie filling into each crust.
7. Sprinkle over some crumbled dough bits as toppings.
8. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the crusts turn a beautiful golden brown.
9. Once baked, cool them thoroughly before de-panning.
Apple Activities for Kids
Looking to do some simple apple activities with your toddlers and preschoolers once you have made these apple pies? Why not check out our apple playdough mats now in our store.
Craving More Easy Apple Recipes for Kids?
Easy Pie & Tart Recipes for Kids
Looking for more pie inspirations? Check out these below
Easy Apple Recipe for Kids - No Roll Apple Pies
- 6 cup muffin pan
- Wooden Spoon
Apple Pie Filling
- Peel and chop the apples into small cubes.
- Combine the apples, water, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the liquid begins to simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 220C (200C for Fan Assisted)
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add the oil and water and stir until dough begins to form. Knead with your hands until the dough is sold.
- Remove golf ball sized balls of dough from the bowl and press it into a six-cup muffin pan. Continue until all the cups have been filled.
- Fill each pie crust cup with apple pie filling.
- Top with crumbled pieces of pie dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pie crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.