We have another fantastically easy recipe for you and your kids to make in the kitchen. These easy apple pies are so simple older kids will be able to make them all themselves and even your toddlers and you can cook them together. Using a no-roll pastry crust recipe and a delicious homemade apple pie filling this is great for cooking this autumn with the kids. So get some apples ready and head to the kitchen with the kids to make some delicious and simple apple pies.
Apple Pie Recipe to Cook with Kids
Apple pies are one of my favourite apple recipes to cook with kids. I will buy them in the store when I need a sweet treat. But homemade are my favourite and these are so simple even little kids can make them.
Yes, even toddlers can make pastry! These pies use a no-roll recipe which is perfect for little hands to make.
Top tip for cooking these pies with toddlers…
If you are cooking with toddlers the filling can be made in advance the night before and stored in the fridge to use in the recipe.
Older kids I support them or let them make the apple pie filling themselves. It’s really good experience to get used to cooking with heat.
Easy Apple Pies to Cook with Kids
- 6 cup muffin pan
- Wooden Spoon
Apple Pie Filling
- Peel and chop the apples into small cubes.
- Combine the apples, water, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the liquid begins to simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 220C (200C for Fan Assisted)
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add the oil and water and stir until dough begins to form. Knead with your hands until the dough is sold.
- Remove golf ball sized balls of dough from the bowl and press it into a six-cup muffin pan. Continue until all the cups have been filled.
- Fill each pie crust cup with apple pie filling.
- Top with crumbled pieces of pie dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pie crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
More Pie and Tart Recipes to Cook with Kids
Why not try some of these other pie and tart recipes to cook with kids