Learning to read begins with toddlers learning their ABC’s and starting to recognise the beginning letter sounds of words. We are kicking off a series of letter crafts for toddlers that work on fun Animal Themed Alphabet pages that you and they can put together. Starting off our series is a is for ant and this simple page that can be made on a construction paper booklet.
Inspired by seeing the ants at the zoo we decided A we would focus on the animal ANTS. Ant is a great word to use for the letter “a” as the a in the word makes the a sound that they will be introduced to as they learn to read in preschool and school.
Materials Needed for this Simple “a” is for Ant Craft for Toddlers
We have included links to the materials we use. If you purchase via these links we may earn a small commission.
Make Summer 2019 AWESOME!
Kids not old enough for summer camp?
Hold your own at home!
Make this summer with your kids awesome!
How to make this A Craft for Toddlers
- On the large piece of construction paper draw a letter a as an outline. You could produce a second “page” which you have for the letter A as well helping your toddler to see the different ways that a can be drawn.
- From another piece of paper, either the same or different colour cut out a letter a that your toddler can then glue onto the a on the “page” of their letter book.
- With your green paper cut out a selection of different leaves – if you want to get a little more creative you could make these from leaf sponge stamps that you paint, print and then let dry and cut out.
- Let your toddler glue the leaves and stick around the letter a. It’s a good opportunity to trace around the letter the way that you would write the letter.
- Using black paper cut out some ant shapes – 3 body parts of different sizes.
- Help your toddler to glue these on to the page.
- Now add some legs – we counted out 6 legs on each ant.
- Then my toddlers fun part – adding the googly eyes.
Once the page is dry add in the Aa and the word ant to help them identify the letters as you flip through the alphabet book that we are making at a later date.
More Animal Alphabet Crafts for Toddlers
The next letter in the alphabet “B” and our animal letter craft for toddler – B is for Bird
Pin this Animal Alphabet Craft for Toddlers to Come back to Later
Share this Simple A is for Ant Craft with others on Facebook