Looking for a simple recipe that kids can cook for the 4th of July as you celebrate as a family? Then why not have a go at some really simple 4th of July Oreo Cookies! These easy treats take just a few minutes to make, leave to dry, and then you and the kids have a tasty snack or dessert that you can share and the kids can say We Made These! So here you go our ever so simple Independence Day Oreo Cookies!
Independence Day Treats Recipe for Kids
Celebrations are one of the times that we love to get together in the kitchen and these simple treats are no cook (just a little melting of the chocolate), and taste delicious too.
We recommend making them the day before so that they have enough time to harden then your kids can enjoy them on the 4th of July to keep the energy levels going all the way through to the fireworks.
We’ve drizzled candy melts and added a few little sprinkles to make them extra special but leaving half of the chocolate Oreo showing the kids won’t get too messy making them or eating them too.
FREE 4th of July Bingo Game for Kids
Subscribe to Rainy Day Mum today and receive a bonus gift from us of a fun Bingo game for the 4th of July.
Looking for more ideas for kids for the 4th of the July check out our activities and crafts for Independence day for some fun.
Easy 4th of July Oreo Cookies to Make with Kids
- Baking Tray
- Metal Spoon
- 12 OREO cookies
- ½ cup white candy melts
- ¼ cup red candy melts
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening or lard
- Blue & White Star Sprinkles
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment or greaseproof paper for the candy-dipped Oreos to dry on.
- Melt the white candy melts in a microwave-safe mug or bowl, along with a tablespoon of shortening, heating for 20 second at a time and stirring in between until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Dip the Oreos halfway into the melted candy, pull out and let any excess candy drip off, then dip again.
- Allow the white candy coating to dry – I found that by the time I was done the 12th cookie, the 1st cookie was dry.
- Melt the red candy melts using the same method as step 2.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the melted red candy over the white candy coating in straight stripes.
- Allow to dry completely before serving or storing. We leave for 24hrs but they should be fully dry within about 20 minutes.
More Ideas for Oreos
Love Oreos then check out these other ideas and save them for later
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.