I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
Unlike much of the UK over the weekend, we didn’t see any snow however it was very cold, but also beautifully bright and sunny so as we are trying to work over our jungle – I mean garden into something to enjoy and grow our own vegetables in we headed out. Staying warm after such a morning meant that soup was needed, but true to form as we’re not a big soup eating family there wasn’t a quick tin in the cupboard that we could use so time for me to cook from the store cupboard a quick and easy winter warming tomato soup.
With only a few minutes something easy to put together was essential, I’d been helping in the garden so needed to come in and prep and cook it in the time that it took my husband to herd up the ice breaking kids and put away the garden tools. Our storecupboard generally has the same sorts of stuff in and I knew that there would be some stock and a tin of tomatoes hidden in the back – we’ve recently switched to passata for sauces as the kids prefer the smoother taste of it and they will then eat the food whereas otherwise it’s left on the plates!
Ingredients for Winter Warming Tomato Soup
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic (we do like our garlic)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
Handful of mushrooms
500ml of chicken stock (vegetable stock works just as well)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of chilli powder
1 teaspoon of garlic salts (I did say we liked garlic didn’t I!)
pinch of paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper
splash of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of red wine
Step by step
Chop up the onions and mushrooms and crush the garlic gloves.
In a pan heat some oil and then add the onions, mushrooms and garlic brown these off until the onions are soft.
Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes and the chicken stock
Stir and bring to the boil.
Once boiling add in the red wine, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce
Season with some salt and pepper
Add in your spices and stir
Simmer for 10 minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavours
Then using a hand blender puree to a smooth consistency and serve with some freshly baked bread
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Handful of mushrooms
- 500ml of chicken stock
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salts
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of red wine
- Olive Oil
- Chop up the onions and mushrooms and crush the garlic gloves.
- In a pan heat some oil and then add the onions, mushrooms and garlic brown these off until the onions are soft.
- Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes and the chicken stock
- Stir and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling add in the red wine, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce
- Season with some salt and pepper
- Add in your spices and stir
- Simmer for 10 minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavours
- Then using a hand blender puree to a smooth consistency and serve with some freshly baked bread
Ideal size to share on Facebook
Read this next
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- 100 Fun and Easy Learning Games for Kids – Supporting Learning at Home - May 24, 2016
- D.I.Y Nature Study Kit for Kids - May 17, 2016
- Spring and Summer Family Picnic Time Competition - May 16, 2016
- Double Chocolate Chip Brioche Loaf - May 16, 2016
- Let’s Go Fly a Kite - May 12, 2016