I had this great idea last week – that I would set up some wonderful small world play using rainbow rice as the basics for the landscape. It looked really beautiful when I set it up with a pond, a little land area, I added a duck for the pond and some plants and a tortoise for the land….
However, J had very different ideas for what this should be.
Instead he removed the small world creatures and turned it into a sensory tub. First he loved the colours as he swirled them around the tub they started to mix together. He also asked if I could add Red rice to it as initially it only had blue and green in.
He loved the feel of the rice – yes he tasted it but as I only use food colouring and nothing else this wasn’t a problem.
Once he had explored the colours and textures of the rice he explored sounds on his own. There has been a lot of rain recently and the sound of the rice falling on the plastic bottom of the box was just like it against our window panes.
This was the first time we had used rainbow rice… and I will be trying it again hopefully I will get a small world play out of it at some point as well.
Read this next
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- All Holiday Resorts are not Equal – Reunion Resort Orlando - October 9, 2015
- Fish Curry by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall - October 8, 2015
- Skip counting spider webs - October 8, 2015
- DIY Sensory Letters – Cursive Alphabet - October 7, 2015
- Build your own lunch – alternative to sandwich lunch box idea - October 7, 2015