I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
I had this great idea last week – that I would set up some wonderful small world play using rainbow rice as the basics for the landscape. It looked really beautiful when I set it up with a pond, a little land area, I added a duck for the pond and some plants and a tortoise for the land….
However, J had very different ideas for what this should be.
Instead he removed the small world creatures and turned it into a sensory tub. First he loved the colours as he swirled them around the tub they started to mix together. He also asked if I could add Red rice to it as initially it only had blue and green in.
He loved the feel of the rice – yes he tasted it but as I only use food colouring and nothing else this wasn’t a problem.
Once he had explored the colours and textures of the rice he explored sounds on his own. There has been a lot of rain recently and the sound of the rice falling on the plastic bottom of the box was just like it against our window panes.
This was the first time we had used rainbow rice… and I will be trying it again hopefully I will get a small world play out of it at some point as well.
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Savoury Apple Recipes for Autumn Family Meals and Entertaining - September 13, 2016
- 2-Ingredient Quick and Easy Apple Scented Playdough Recipe - September 12, 2016
- Who Lives in the Forest? A Forest School Activity for Kids. - September 8, 2016
- Weekly Virtual Book Club for Kids 2016 – 2017 - September 7, 2016
- 5 reasons why Sandringham Camping and Caravan Club Site is great for families - August 31, 2016