When we moved into the new house one of my big long term goals is to make it a handmade home. With a mix of my own and the kid’s crafts and arts around the place. I started off with some rustic easy sew stockings this Christmas which are looking beautiful decorating our stairway and the kids created their own first sew stockings which are hanging on the tree. Today I’m sharing with you another craft I’ve been making and decorating our Christmas tree with these Fabric Pinecone Ornaments and the best bit they are so quick to make and no sew.
Materials Needed to make these Pinecone Fabric Ornaments
Pins – 1/2 inch Sequin Pins are ideal
Preparation to make your fabric Pinecone Ornaments
Cut a strip from your fabrics – 1 and 1/2 inches wide.
Now cut from this 24 – 1 and 1/2 inch squares of your dark coloured fabric – I used a white pencil and luckily my rule is 1 and 1/2 inches so went along and marked them squares out and then cut them all at once. On the light, coloured fabric cut out 26 1 and a 1/2 inch squares.
On your egg with the smaller end up draw a line around it and then rotate 90 degrees and draw another line splitting your egg into 4 quarters lengthwise. This will help you position your sections on the egg.
How to make your No Sew Fabric Ornaments
- Starting at the pointy end of the egg pin a square of the light coloured fabric.
- Place each of the points along one of the lines that you have drawn and you will probably find that you need to pin in between the corners as well.
- No take a square of the dark fabric – fold in half to form a triangle.
- Fold in half again to form a smaller triangle.
- Taking the raw edges straight section place the point in between the corners of your white section and pin the raw edge in place with 2 pins.
- Repeat step 3 and 4 with three other dark fabric triangles.
- Now pin the other 3 dark fabric triangles around the egg at the same level so the points are spaced evenly.
- Take 4 light coloured fabric squares and fold as you did in steps 3 and 4.
- Pin along the raw edge in 2 places with the point in the gap between the dark fabric points.
- Repeat the rows until you have 6 rows of dark and 6 rows of light fabrics – you should finish on a light fabric row.
- With a light coloured square turn over a small hem and place at the blunt end of the foam egg to cover the gap. Pin in place.
- Now cut two 5 inch strips of ribbon.
- Tie one in a bow and place both the loose ends of the other underneath the middle of the bow.
- Pin through the middle of the bow and the two loose ends into the top of the foam egg.
- Hang on the tree or decorate your home with this easy to make no sew fabric pinecone ornaments.
More Christmas Crafts for you to Make
Pin these No Sew Fabric Pinecone Ornaments to make later
Share this simple Christmas Craft on Facebook
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Rainbow Fish Weaving - June 22, 2017
- First Time Family Camping – your essential equipment list - June 21, 2017
- Simple DIY Maze Craft for Kids - June 21, 2017