I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
Last year as part of the Virtual Book Club for Kids we explored the book If you give a mouse a cookie by Laura Numeroff with a Maths game, this months featured author is again Laura Numeroff and of the 3 book selections we’re focusing on If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, If You Give a Pig a Pancake and If You Give a Moose a Muffin [affiliate links]. We love the if you give then this happens and I decided that this was ideal for creating a simple addition exercise for my preschool and I to do together based around the If you give a Moose a Muffin Book.
The If then statements lead really nicely into basic addition fun for preschoolers – I created a cute muffin printable for you to download to give the moose and then search for a moose colouring page that T and I could use to give the muffins to. She’s at the stage where she can count and I want to work on counting on and addition with her before she starts school in September so this was perfect.
Paper and Marker
Print out the muffins and cut up into individual muffins, if you don’t have a moose puppet or soft toy (we don’t) then print out a picture of a moose to give the muffins to – I used this and coloured it in once printed out.
With our muffins set up and moose I explained that we were going to give the moose some muffins and then give him some more as he was hungry and then work out how many muffins he had had altogether as he was a greedy moose.
As we gave the moose some muffins I wrote the number of muffins that we have given the moose down on the paper showing T the number and then put the plus sign – I explained that + meant and in Numeracy we used that instead of words, then wrote down how many more muffins we gave the moose.
With all of the muffins in front of the moose T counted them out and I explained this was the number of muffins that the moose had altogether.
We repeated this working on addition to 20 using our muffins.
Check out other ideas for Books by Laura Numeroff for this months Virtual Book Club for kids
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie activities:
- Cookie Sensory Bottle
- DIY Pretend Play Cookies
- Cookie Delivery Rube Goldberg Machine
- Free Printable If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Activities
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Counting Cards
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Counting Activities
If You Give a Moose a Muffin activities:
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Savoury Apple Recipes for Autumn Family Meals and Entertaining - September 13, 2016
- 2-Ingredient Quick and Easy Apple Scented Playdough Recipe - September 12, 2016
- Who Lives in the Forest? A Forest School Activity for Kids. - September 8, 2016
- Weekly Virtual Book Club for Kids 2016 – 2017 - September 7, 2016
- 5 reasons why Sandringham Camping and Caravan Club Site is great for families - August 31, 2016