I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
We’ve recently switched over to a much healthier diet, partly because it’s warming up so we don’t fancy heavy meals but also as I want us to eat healthier as a family. So for this week’s Cooking with Kids A to Z post is H is for honey I thought I would share our Honey Granola recipe – it’s really simple to make and the kids really enjoy using the microwave as well as mixing and the granola makes a delicious breakfast or snack whenever we feel a little peckish.
Ingredients for Honey Granola
4 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup of local honey
1/4 cup of water
1 teaspoon on vanilla
A pinch of salt
Making the Honey Granola
Start of by putting the 1/2 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of water into a bowl. We like to use local honey as one of the ways we are reducing our food miles plus it tastes delicious.
We then put the honey and the water into the microwave on 10-second intervals and stir in between till the honey has dissolved into the water.
Add your salt and vanilla and stir until it’s all mixed together.
J and T love measuring out the oats and adding them to the bowl and then stirring until fully combined.
Pour the mix onto a baking tray and place in an oven at 150C for 20 minutes, stir around and then return to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until they are lightly golden brown.
Let cool and place in a jar where you can access and serve.
I like my granola with some fresh berries and dried fruit in the morning. The kids like theirs with some milk chocolate chips.
- ½ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of water
- 4 cups of rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- tea spoon of vanilla
- Mix together the honey and water
- Place the honey-water mix in the microwave and set for 10 second, mix and return for a further 10 seconds continue until all of the honey is fully dissolved in the water.
- Add the vanilla and pinch of salt to the honey-water and stir
- Stir in the rolled oats
- Mix until the oats are fully coated
- Turn onto a baking tray and spread out
- Place in the centre of a oven at 150C for 20 minutes
- Mix on the baking tray
- Return to the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly golden brown.
More H is for Honey Recipes from the Cooking with Kids Team
Honey Granola – Rainy Day Mum
Grilled Halloumi Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing – The Mad House
Honey Crispy Treats – Sugar Aunts
Fried Ice Cream Sundaes – Still Playing School
Homemade Honey Caramel Sauce – Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
Honey with Yogurt – Peakle Pie
Honey and Lemon Roast Chicken – Witty Hoots
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Back to School Essentials for Mums - August 18, 2016
- Tie Dye T-shirts to make with kids - August 18, 2016
- Felixstowe with Kids – Oh we do like to be beside the Sea Side - August 9, 2016
- Designed for the beach - August 8, 2016
- School Days – School Uniform that Lasts - August 1, 2016