I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
We’re on D is our Cooking with Kids A to Z and all recipes this time are based on D is for Dough. One of the traditions that I started last year was to make bread regularly with my kids – we made some sweet little Hedgehog Loaves but even without the special treats we still make our simple white bread recipe regularly. Kneading the dough and watching it rise as well as making either loaves, rolls or fun bread shapes is fantastic for the kids.
When I set about making bread I can use different recipes but I really like a recipe that is simple for the kids and easy for them to remember and use.
Ingredients for Easy Bread Dough
3 cups strong bread flour
pinch of salt
1 packet of quick action yeast
2 tablespoons of vegetable or sunflour oil
1 cup of warm water
1 tablespoon of sugar
Making bread with kids
Although I normally cook with the kids on the kitchen counter with them standing on a foot stool – because of kneading the bread I have found that the kids find it easier to make bread at the table where they can knead the bread easier.
First off add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
Make a well in the middle and add in the oil and the warm water (it should be hand hot and no more).
Stir the mix until it comes together and then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead.
A tip that I learnt from watching The Great British Bake Off – lightly oil your hands and the dough won’t attach as easily.
It takes about 5 – 10 minutes to knead the dough into a nice smooth dough, and I often find myself taking a turn with the kids as well.
Once the dough is kneaded and smooth make into shapes that you want and then put in a warm place to double in size – this takes around an hour.
Decorate if you wish
Then bake for 15 – 20 minutes for rolls, 20 – 30 minutes for loaves. When turned over the bread when tapped should be hollow sounding.
Leave on a wire wrack to cool if you can!
- 3 cups strong bread flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 packet of quick action yeast
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable or sunflour oil
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl
- Add in the vegetable oil and the warm water
- Mix with a spoon until a dough is formed
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface
- Knead for 5 - 10 minutes until smooth
- Make into shapes or put in a loaf tin
- Leave in a warm place for around an hour until doubled in size
- Decorate if you wish
- Cook 15 - 20 minutes for shaped rolls or 20 - 30 minutes for loaves
- Test to see if cooked by tapping the bottom with your knuckle - hollow sound = cooked
- Leave to cool and enjoy.
More Dough Recipes from the Cooking with Kids A – Z team
Cheesy DoughTwirlers from Peakle Pie
Herb and Onion Dumplings from Witty Hoots
Easy Bread Dough from Rainy Day Mum
Freezable Cookie Dough from Still Playing School
Home Made Pasta from Sugar Aunts
Homemade Pizza Dough from Mums in the Madhouse
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Over in the Forest Themed Clip Cards - June 29, 2016
- Your one-stop shop guide to kicking the debt habit - June 29, 2016
- Beach Essentials for Families - June 28, 2016
- Dinosaur Woods A conservation lessons for kids - June 20, 2016
- The Enormous Carrot Storytelling with Props - June 17, 2016