Every year, I create a picture book advent calendar for my children. I collect all sorts of Christmas themed picture books for this tradition, but the nativity themed books are my personal favorites. My favorite nativity themed picture books are Room for a Little One and Christmas Is Here.
Retelling the Nativity Story Using Felt
I know that my children learn a great deal by re-telling stories, and so over the years we have created different felt scenes so that my kids could easily retell this story during the Christmas season. When my children were tiny, I used a very simple geometric shapes nativity scene. A few years later, a used a pattern designed for wood cutting to create a felt nativity scene. When that felt set wore out, I decided to create a new felt nativity scene template – one with pieces that would be very easy for my children to set up and take down. The result is this simple scene.
DIY Felt Nativity Materials
- Felt. Wool felt is lovely, but if you are looking to save money I also recommend this polyester felt.
- Sharp scissors – otherwise cutting the felt will drive you crazy! These Ghinger sewing shears are an investment, but mine have lasted since 1998 without any issues.
- Felt board. You can make a simple hoop felt board like the one we used, or go for a more traditional felt board . In either case, I recommend using fleece rather than felt for the actual board. It is nice and stretchy so you can get a snug fit, and felt sticks to it beautifully. There are also some great felt boards you can buy, such as:
How to Make this Felt Nativity Set
What is your favorite Nativity story?
MaryAnne is the fourth of ten children, raised in five countries on three continents. She now lives in California’s Silicon Valley with her husband Mike and their four children: Emma, Johnny, Lily, and Anna. She blogs at Mama Smiles – Joyful Parenting about building a rewarding family life through mindful parenting and educational and creative family activities.
Pin this DIY Felt Board Nativity Story to make later
Share this DIY Nativity Story Felt Board with friends on Facebook
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- 10 Classic Rhymes to Count with Young Children - February 22, 2017
- Innocent Searches: Simple Tips to Keep Kids Safe Online - February 21, 2017
- Maths Games for Toddlers and Preschoolers - February 15, 2017