I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
We love fairy tales here, they are always a favourite when we bring them out for a bedtime story or to read when the kids are ill and at home. Cinderella is mine and my daughters favourite and for this weeks #TeachECE theme of Fairy Tales we decided to use it for some measuring and sorting inspired of course by finding a shoe that fits. Do check out the bottom of the post for other ideas for Cinderella themed activities for early years.
- Sort objects by size order
- Use language of size – smaller, smallest, bigger, biggest, Bigger than, Smaller than
A selection of shoes of various sizes
Cinderella inspired sorting activity
Start of by reading the fairy story and take a moment to discuss the problems that the prince had trying to find the girl that matched the glass slipper.
Then collect together a selection of shoes – we had dolls shoes, the kids first shoes, their current shoes and mine and my husband shoes as well.
We started of by picking the smallest shoe and trying it on her foot. “Much too small”
Then we put it at the far end of the table.
Then we picked out another shoe the biggest and tried it on. “Much bigger” and placed it at the far end of the table.
Then we tried on the other shoes – I asked where it was smaller, bigger than a shoe on the table and her foot.
Once we had the shoes in order we talked about finding the smallest, the biggest, which shoes was smaller and which was bigger than the one that fitted just right.
Other fairy tale inspired learning activities for Early Years
Fairy Tales Short Vowel Activities: Little Red Riding Hood by Learning 2 Walk
Cast a Sound with a Fairy Tale Wand by Growing Book by Book
Jack and the Beanstalk Alphabet Game by Mom Inspired Life
Pin it for later
Ideal size for sharing on Facebook
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Savoury Apple Recipes for Autumn Family Meals and Entertaining - September 13, 2016
- 2-Ingredient Quick and Easy Apple Scented Playdough Recipe - September 12, 2016
- Who Lives in the Forest? A Forest School Activity for Kids. - September 8, 2016
- Weekly Virtual Book Club for Kids 2016 – 2017 - September 7, 2016
- 5 reasons why Sandringham Camping and Caravan Club Site is great for families - August 31, 2016