I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
I will be the first to admit I’m not really very organised this year – in fact we have maybe 5 presents in total and I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing really. So in an effort to make myself more organised and share it with everyone in the hope that it may help someone else. Here is Part 1 of 4 Christmas Planning posts in the lead up to Christmas.
10 things to do this week to help you get ready for Christmas.
- Buy wrapping paper, cards and gift tags (check what you have left from last year but buy more than you need you can always store for the following year) or make them with your kids if you have the time – check out the links at the end of the post for some ideas.
- Get on the computer – open a spreadsheet and write a Christmas Card List – why the computer because it can easily be edited you can add to it and if you are really tech savy you can add addresses and mail merge to write the envelopes for you on the computer. Use something like Google Drive or Excel and you know that next year you can come back to it (as you get cards come through if the person wasn’t on your list add it to the list so you remember to write one from the start next year).
- Write down your plans for Christmas – that way you know how many people will be around for the Christmas Holidays. For us Christmas starts on Christmas Eve – my husband gets the day off and I try and plan all the way through to the 2nd of January so his annual leave is real family time. Knowing where we will be means that the next step I can plan easily as well
- Now using that list write down a rough idea for what you will eat that day in terms of main meal if you are at home if you are going out or somewhere else have you been asked to take anything with you if so add that as the “meal” for that day. This will form the basis for working out what you need to get in terms of food.
- If you are going away and have milk/paper/bread/vegetables etc… delivered then NOW go and cancel it for when you are away – as Christmas draws nearer you will get busier and busier and could forget and return to find everything there. On the same idea have you booked your pets in for any kennels that you need to DO IT NOW if you haven’t.
- Work out how much you are going to spend this Christmas and try your best to stick to it – write a list now of presents you will get people and then get shopping – online check to see whether there are coupons and discount codes that apply to the sites that you shop at and in store is there any special offers you could take advantage of
- Get the advent calendar out. 1st December is the starting date for counting down dust off you calendar or get creative and make your own – yes you really still do have time again I have included some ideas at the end of the post that you can do with the kids
- Attic, Garage, Shed where ever those ornaments and decorations are stored get them out now – we may not be putting our tree up till the 15th December however I’m getting the decorations out now and checking that there aren’t any broken, do I need some new bulbs for the lights – is there anything that I want to add to them this year? It’s worth checking through now
- Are you making any gifts this year – you may have already started (well done much more organised than I am) but if not nows the time to make sure that you have everything you need – if they are food gifts how long in advance can you make them some things may need a while to improve if so make them this week.
- Go to your kids bookshelves and collect all Christmas Books and Winter books you can find. Put them in boxes, out on the table in the reading nook on the beside table – check out Amazon as well as book stores and super markets are there any news ones that you could add to your collections if they are on special offer buy them if not take note of the name and then get them in the sales come January for next year.
Activies for your kids with 4 weeks to go
Make some wrapping paper check out these ideas from Red Ted Art
Make an advent calendar – 24 advent calendar ideas and activities and 6 advent ideas for your tots
Set up a Christmas Sensory Bin like this one from The Imagination Tree
Get ready to tell the Nativity Story by setting up a Small World Play I love the one from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots that was posted last year.
Go collect some pine cones and make a Pom Pom Pine Cone Tree Decoration
Start to create a winter village for your children to add to over Christmas like this one from Nurturestore.
Need even more Ideas –
Check out or Christmas Planning board on Pinterest
Read this next
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- What to pack for a family ski trip! - February 5, 2016
- Needle Felted Hearts - February 4, 2016
- Afterschooling – supporting your child’s teachers at home - February 3, 2016
- Seasonal Cooking for February - February 2, 2016
- 5 Simple Changes to start a detox of your home - February 1, 2016